ASSIST is going through a period of organisational change. It is a vibrant and complex organisation, with over 200 volunteers, and 3.7 FTE staff (5 employed people). The staff team is shortly to increase following a successful funding bid, and this will accompany a restructure which is the result of extensive external and internal consultations. The new structure is intended to simplify decision-making, clarify accountability, and establish a sustainable structure for the long term, recognising that the policy of asylum destitution is set to expand and that the ‘hostile environment’ policy is bringing greater challenges for our clients.
The trustee board is a dynamic, committed and relatively informal group of experienced people. Due to recent and imminent retirements, we are looking for new trustees to join the board at a time of transition. In addition to the capacity to perform the general governance duties of a trustee, we are seeking the following specific expertise:
- General organisational management
- Project management
- Experience of dealing with risk/safeguarding
- Awareness of Data Protection
- General legal knowledge (e.g. simple level charity law, housing law, employment law)
- Experience of living outside the UK, especially in a country from which some of our clients may come
- Experience of the asylum system
If interested, please email chair [at] assistsheffield.org.uk for an informal conversation.
ASSIST internal applicants are welcome