Our clients tell us that giving them a place to stay is the most important service ASSIST can provide for them. The security of knowing they will have somewhere to stay is the biggest relief of all, giving them the stability they need to move forward with their asylum case.
We are looking for…
Anyone who would be willing to lend their spare room to an asylum seeker…
● weekend hosts, providing accommodation on Saturday and Sunday nights when our night shelter is shut.
● Longer term hosts who would be prepared to host a client for a few weeks or months at a time.
Weekend hosting…What does it involve?
Although we aim to provide accommodation for all of our clients, places are limited and most of our clients have to spend some time in our emergency night shelter. Unfortunately this can only open Monday to Friday making us reliant on weekend hosts to bridge the gap.
As a weekend host you would become one of several families we contact when somebody needs accommodation on a Saturday and Sunday night. It can be as often as you like and we are keen to work with you to make it as convenient for you as possible. Many of our host families have children, many live alone and their ages range from students to the retired.
Long term hosting…What does it involve?
Although we now have 3 shared houses where our clients can live, due to high demand often this is not enough. Long term hosts provide a much needed lifeline to some of our most vulnerable clients who simply cannot afford to wait for a room to become available.
How long you host for is entirely up to you and we will work with you to support you in any way we can. Long term hosting gives you the opportunity to really get to know and form a relationship with an asylum seeker and many people find it to be very rewarding.
What we provide
● Being part of a unique Sheffield charity made up of people from all walks of life and from around the world
● Learn about different cultures and make new friends
● Access to training opportunities, including ASSIST’s ‘Asylum the Basics’ training
● A small financial contribution to help cover any expenses
How to find out more
Go to Contact us and use the form to send an email choosing the category Accommodation for asylum seekers, or email us direct at accommodate [at] assistsheffield.org.uk. Please mention in your email whether you are interested in weekend or long term hosting.